Pearson BTEC Level 4 HNC & Level 5 HND qualifications in business is designed for learners to develop the managerial and technical knowledge required to effectively manage people, processes and performance within an operational area of responsibility. The qualifications are suitable for learners who work in, or who want to work in management and leadership roles such as Manager, Area Manager, Business Manager, Quality Manager, Business Improvement Manager.
|Course Title||Pearson BTEC HNC Level 4 & HND Level 5 in Business|
|Provider Name||CECOS COLLEGE LONDON|
- The purpose of BTEC Higher Nationals in Business is to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world.
- The qualifications aim to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them.
- Pearson BTEC Higher National provides nationally recognised qualifications offering career progression, professional development, employment opportunities and further progression within higher education. The qualifications are made up of compulsory units and specialist units studied during the first year HNC and second year, leading to the full HND Business qualification.
- The BTEC Higher National qualifications in Business are aimed at students wanting to continue their education through applied learning. Higher Nationals provide a wide-ranging study of the business sector and are designed for students who wish to pursue or advance their career in business. In addition to the knowledge, understanding and skills that underpin the study of the business sector, Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Business give students experience of the breadth and depth of the sector that will prepare them for further study or training.
- Inspiring ambition and widening horizons for young people through sports, education and other extra-curricular activities.
The course aims to:
- To equip students with business skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the global business environment.
- To provide education and training for a range of careers in business, including management, administration, human resources, marketing, entrepreneurship, accounting and finance.
- To provide insight and understanding into international business operations and the opportunities and challenges presented by a globalised market place.
- To equip students with knowledge and understanding of culturally diverse organisations, cross-cultural issues, diversity and values.
- To provide opportunities for students to enter or progress in employment in business, or progress to higher education qualifications such as an Honours degree in business or a related area.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop the skills, techniques and personal attributes essential for successful working lives.
- To provide opportunities for those students with a global outlook to aspire to international career pathways.
- To provide opportunities for students to achieve a nationally-recognised professional qualification.
- To offer students the chance of career progression in their chosen field.
- To allow flexibility of study and to meet local or specialist needs.
- To offer a balance between employability skills and the knowledge essential for students with entrepreneurial, employment or academic aspirations.
We meet these objectives by:
- Providing a thorough grounding in business principles at Level 4 that leads the student to a range of specialist progression pathways at Level 5 relating to individual professions within the business sector.
- Equipping individuals with commercial acumen, understanding and business skills for success in a range of administrative and management roles in business.
- Enabling progression to a university degree by supporting the development of appropriate academic study skills. Enabling progression to further professional qualifications in specific business areas by mapping to units in a range of professional business qualifications.
- Develop managerial and wider technical knowledge to underpin competence in management roles
- To provide technical knowledge in order to empower learners with a framework for extending occupational skills to specialised management and leadership roles
The ability to:
- Develop practical skills to lead, manage or work as part of a team on projects
- Develop an understanding of basic-level financial analysis in order to construct and interpret financial data
- Develop and apply general research skills
- Develop and apply key management and leadership skills in practical projects and assessments
- Develop organisational skills to respond creatively to assignment briefs, meet dead-lines, and prepare presentations, document research undertaken.
- Display their work confidently and well, using different methods of presentation.
- Use IT as a method of research and, where appropriate, as a tool for academic development and digital literacy.
Our aim during the course of this programme is to support your development, equipping you with skills that will help you with your future career path and also personal and social development. We will do this in a variety of ways including:
- Providing individual support to help increase your employability skills
- Increase your awareness of key British values such as democracy, mutual respect, tolerance for all and the rule of the law
- Assess your personal learning and thinking skills and provide appropriate support to ensure you are confident in yourself and your abilities
- Conduct regular guidance meetings to support you with your future plans
- Work with you to reflect on personal behaviour and the moral responsibility that we all have to support others and create a supportive and productive society
- Analytic thinking skills are developed through academic protocols, discussion in classroom, assignment work and tutorial sessions.
- Practical skills are an essential component of the programme and are developed through classroom activity, projects, and independent work and peer/tutor feedback.
- Common Skills such as oral and written communication are developed in group and tutorial sessions, through assignments and practical assessments.
- All staff has relevant industry experience.
Each unit is assessed by individual or group participation, individual presentation, research and coursework assignments.
- Assessment activities provide major opportunities for learning, including:
- Group and individual work
- Peer Feedback
- Individual and group presentations
- Essay, evaluations and assignments All assessments are delivered through a standard system, which makes the context and the assessment criteria clear. There are assessment weeks. Grades accumulate over the year. The External Examiner samples student work and grades. An annual Exam Board finalises all student grades.
- Competence and knowledge are assessed through a range of methods, including
Student progression is supported both by subject tutors and also by central college services
- A comprehensive induction introducing new students to the subject, to the course and to the college facilities: eg. Learning Resources, staff & Student Support
- College and Programme Handbooks available in print and electronic format
- Personal and academic support integrated into teaching provided by approachable lecturers and a personal tutor who monitors performance
- Study and research skills integrated into the programme
- Written electronic assignment feedback, within three weeks of assignment submission
- Up-to-date computing facilities and a modern, well-equipped Learning Resources Centre
- Virtual Learning Environment (MOODLE)
- Access to higher education specific academic support sessions
- Access to Student Support for students with welfare, financial or counseling needs
- Access to Learning Support for students with educational needs.
- Access to careers advice and support
- Regular one-to-one tutorials and target setting
Year 1 HNC in Business
|Unit No.||Unit Name||Unit Level||Unit Credit||Semester|
|1||Business & Business Environment||4||15||1
|2||Marketing Processes and Planning||4||15|
|3||Human Resource Management||4||15||2
|4||Leadership and Management||4||15|
|6||Managing A Successful Business Project
Year 2 HND in Business
|Unit Code||Unit Name||Unit Level||Unit Credit||Semester|
|19||Research Project Proposal Part I
|46||Developing Individual Teams & Organisations||5||5|
|53||Planning for Growth||5||15||3|
|19||Research Project Proposal Part II
CECOS College London offers a range of support and resources from the start of your programme, these are as follows:
- Information, advice and guidance from the first any contact all the way through certification and progression. This will support you in your next steps
- Learning support and disability
- Enrichment training to allow you to achieve all of your personal and professional goals
- An integrated e-portfolio system which includes, virtual classroom
For learners who have recently been in education, the entry profile is likely to include one of the following:
- Be 18 years old as a minimum
- An AVCE/GNVQ in an appropriate vocational area (e.g.: Business, Hospitality and Catering, Travel and Tourism);
- A BTEC National Certificate or Diploma in Business Studies, Hospitality Supervision, or a similar discipline;
- A GCE Advanced level profile which demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or an adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C;
- Other related Level 3 qualifications;
- An Access to Higher Education Certificate awarded by an approved further education institution;
- Related work experience;
- Mature learners may present a more varied profile of achievement that is likely to include extensive work experience (paid and/or unpaid) and/or achievement of a range of professional qualifications in their work sector.
English Language Requirement
Students are expected to be able to demonstrate English language comprehension at a level equivalent to IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 5.5 to be able to study BTEC Higher Nationals.
The Pearson expectation of IELTS 5.5 (Reading and Writing must be at 5.5) applies to all students recruited to BTEC level 4 and level 5 qualifications. The college is required to satisfy itself of the fact that the students have been recruited with integrity and that they will be able to cope with the rigour of the programme.
All students seeking admission to CECOS (including EU and Overseas) are asked to provide/undertake one of the following:
- Evidence that their command of spoken and written English is at IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) adequate for the programme of study for which they have applied. The expectation can also be met using other English language tests such as Pearson PTE, NCFE, City & Guilds, Cambridge and ESOL etc.
- Initial assessment of English and Maths at level 2
*All candidates will be required to attend an interview where your ability to undertake the course will be assessed.
The tuition fee is £6,165 per annum. Students on this course may be fully funded by the Student Loan Company. This facility is only available to UK and other European Union students. For more information, please contact the admissions team at email@example.com or Tel: 0044 20 7393316
Awarding Body Registration Fee:
The Pearson fee for HND registration is paid by the College at the time of student enrolment
Students completing their BTEC Higher Nationals in Business will have strong career prospects in various areas of business including Marketing, Operations management, Project Management, Human resource management and General administration on successful completion of the course. You will also develop skills to start your own business or to improve your existing business setup. By completing this course you could also progress to a final year at university.